Today’s blog post is from author friend Karen Whiting and she shares a little about her book 365 Devotions for Hope. Hope is central to our faith, but sometimes we can lose our hope during difficult circumstances. Karen’s devotional will help restore your hope, the center of our faith. Enjoy
Sometimes, when life is rough or we feel that God is not answering our prayers, we feel like we need it more than other times.
Whether we are leaders or followers, we need hope. There’s good news. Signs and words of hope are all around us. That’s good because we need hope to move forward, especially during struggles and loss. Hope is the expectation of something good.
What are some of the signs of hope around us?
- Nature provides many signs, such as a daffodil blooming in the snow, a blue sky, twinkling stars at night, and a beautiful sunset.
- Loved ones bring hope with encouraging words, hugs, smiles, and gifts.
- God’s Word brings the ultimate hope with the promise of God’s presence and eternity.
What can we do when we feel hopeless?
We all have times we need a little CPR for hope. Start with counting your blessings, including God’s love. Take things one step and one moment at a time when you feel overwhelmed. Cling to a verse or two. Be patient. Since the time of Job and other Bible characters, people have faced catastrophes and loss.
It’s easy to wallow in self-pity. Some things to try:
- Choose to look for the positive and count your blessings.
- Forgive anyone who caused problems or let you down.
- Believe there will be blessings in the future.
- If you have a recent loss allow yourself time to grieve. It’s a natural process.
- If your hopelessness is long lasting or serious do seek professional help.
- Acknowledge your strengths and gifts. Find ways to use them.
- Eat healthy, get enough sleep, and drink plenty of water.
- Let go of what you cannot control.
- Reframe a problem into a challenge. It will strengthen you and give you new hope.
- Spend time in nature appreciating God’s creation.
- Pray for God’s comfort and joy.
- Surround yourself with supportive people.
What’s your new book and what’s it about?
365 Devotions for Hope is daily meditations that focus on various aspects and signs of hope. Word pictures of images, uplifting quotes, and glimpses into God’s love will inspire readers to embrace life.
For example, in examining the Scripture of Christ as our anchor, devotions explore various anchors (plow, mushroom, claw, and fluke) as well as moorings and other nautical analogies to discover more about hope in God.
Everyday signs of hope are found in encouraging words, laughter, and smiles to natural wonders like the sun peeking through the clouds. The daily reflections will bring seeds of hope to face struggles, renew minds, and refresh spirits.
What helps you when you feel hopeless?
If you received this blog by email, you can leave a comment here.